On Advent of the Mists we try to keep with an authentic medieval feel, even in our cursing. Below are some rules that we expect the players to follow when insulting each other.
– We’ve relaxed our stance on words such as “Fuck” and “Shit” as being allowed in game in proper circumstances.
– There are to be no insults involving genitalia or sexual orientation. Examples would be “Fa***t, Pu***, etc”. We not only do not allow it because it does no fit in with the medieval feel of our game, we also support an inclusive environment. Anyone using modern derogatory terms in game will be removed from the game.
Some alternative words to encompass the above:
- Instead of “Dick”, use words like “Cock”, “Prick”
- For female genitalia, “Cunt”,
- For sex, consider using words such as “Plough”
- For discussing LGBTQIA references, we don’t use “Lesbian” and “Gay” in a medieval setting, though Gay is used in it’s old world reference of “Happy”. Instead, saying preferring men or women or that there is no preference on orientation.
– Terms such as “bitch, bastard, ass” are allowed
– “Damn” or to be “Damned” is acceptable, though we suggest using Gods in a plural sense instead of “God damn.” Hell is not an acceptable term in the game, since our version of the underworld is called “Abystus,” which should be used in its stead.
– Players are encouraged to use resources such as the insult generators below
Consequences for breaking immersion with poorly worded insults aren’t really decided. We don’t expect people to now all of these guidelines right off the bat, but we do expect players learn how to interact in-game appropriately.
Additional insult resources:
Insult Examples Chart/Kit
Take something from the first column, add something from the second column and then something from the third column, and you have an instant insult!
|beslumbering||bastard son of a||barnacle|
|dog-headed||daughter of a||chamber pot|
|fly-splattered||excuse for a||cutpurse|
|silly||son of a||scullery maid|